Patients who have successfully undergone major weight loss are often faced with an unintended side effect – excess skin and fat deposits that fail to shrink back to their former shape and size. Body contouring is a combination of various cosmetic procedures that can be used to minimize the appearance of excess fat and skin.
Here in Southern California, Dr. Krugman performs body contouring procedures, often in collaboration with Dr. Al Aly of the University of California Irvine.
Who Can Benefit From Body Contouring?
- If you suffer from excess skin and localized fat deposits after major weight loss, you may benefit from body contouring surgery.
- The best candidates will have been at their current weight for at least one year, and do not plan to lose any more weight.
- Prior to electing body contouring, it is important that you have a realistic understanding of the risks and benefits associated with all procedures. Body contouring can improve your overall size and shape, but it will not create the "perfect" body.
- During your consultation at Dr. Krugman's office, we can determine if body contouring is right for you. During the consultation, Dr. Krugman reviews your health, medical history and other factors that affect body contouring success.
Body Contouring in Orange County: What to Expect
- Body contouring is typically performed under general anesthesia. The length and extent of your body contouring surgery will depend on the cosmetic procedures being performed.
- Dr. Krugman may recommend liposuction, tummy tuck, thigh lift, arm lift, body lift, and other common surgeries. The general goal is to remove loose skin and fat, creating a slimmer and more proportional shape.
- All body contouring procedures will require incisions. When possible, these incisions will be made in the natural contours of your body to minimize the appearance of scarring.
- Loose skin and tissue will be trimmed. The remaining skin will be tightened and re-draped over muscle and other underlying tissue. The skin will then be secured with sutures and bandaged with surgical dressings.
What Happens After Body Contouring?
- Most patients experience significant swelling, bruising and discomfort for the first few days following surgery. You may be prescribed pain medication to manage this discomfort.
- Following surgery, you will need to wear a compression garment around the treatment areas for several weeks. This will reduce the effects of post-surgical swelling and promote proper healing.
- Your recovery time will depend on the extent of skin and fat that has been removed during surgery. Most patients are able to resume normal activities, including work, within 2-4 weeks of surgery.
- The final results will become apparent as swelling and bruising gradually subside over the course of several months. These results will be more or less permanent. Significant weight fluctuations and the normal aging process may impact results over time.
Alternatives to Body Contouring After Weight Loss
- Unfortunately, there are no current alternatives available to remove or reduce the appearance of excess skin associated with major weight loss.
- Laser or ultrasound assisted liposuction may serve as a less invasive form of liposuction. These techniques are used for fat removal only, and will not impact the appearance of significant excess skin.
Schedule Your Consultation
Dr. Al Aly and Dr. Mark Krugman collaborate to perform body contouring procedures in the Tustin/Santa Ana area and Orange County. If you are interested in setting up a consultation for body contouring, please call our office at 714-972-1811.