A breast lift elevates the breasts when sagging has become a problem. The surgery provides additional firmness and a youthful contour to your breasts. Here in Southern California, Dr. Krugman can perform a breast lift using several different techniques. Loose skin is tightened, breast tissue is elevated and the nipple is repositioned for a younger appearance.
Who Can Benefit from a Breast Lift?
- If you are bothered by breasts that are drooping, then you may be a great candidate for breast lift surgery.
- Over time, the breasts can lose firmness and hang below the breast crease (where the breast meets the chest wall). This condition is known as breast ptosis. In severe cases, the areolas and nipples point downward and reside below the breast crease.
- Different levels of ptosis require their own surgical approach. To evaluate breast sagging and determine the right technique, Dr. Krugman can perform an examination to assess the severity of the breast droop.
Breast Lift Surgery in Orange County: What to Expect
- Your goals for the procedure will be discussed in detail. Your breasts will be examined and possibly marked to create the best possible surgical plan. Dr. Krugman will answer all of your questions and discuss potential complications.
- You will be given either a general anesthetic or the combination of a local anesthetic and intravenous sedation. This is provided before surgery to ensure your complete comfort.
- Incisions are typically made around the areola, under the breast, and in a line connecting these areas. A higher position for the areola is made, and excess skin is removed. The underlying tissue is repositioned and secured in place.
- The remaining skin is reattached beneath the new nipple location. The incisions are closed and held in place with fine sutures for minimal scarring.
What Happens After a Breast Lift?
- Generally a bandage will be applied to the surgical sites for the first few days. A drain may be inserted to allow the release of fluid from within the incisions.
- A support bra or garment is often provided to hold the breasts in place. This will be worn during the entire recovery period, with the exact time depending on your condition.
- Discomfort may occur in the first few days, which can be managed with medication. Some swelling may occur, which typically recedes in 3-6 weeks. Bruising may also occur, but should fade in a few weeks.
- Normal activities may be resumed after about a week, at which point the stitches may be removed. More intense activity may be resumed after about a month.
Alternatives to a Breast Lift
- The breast lift procedure may involve the surgical reduction of areolar size. The areolas may stretch with aging, and decreasing them can help bring proportion to the breasts.
- A modified technique may be applicable if you have only moderate sagging. In this procedure, the only incision is around the areola. Excess skin and tissue are removed through this incision and the breast tightened inward toward the nipple.
- Breast lifts may also be performed with the addition of breast implants. For breasts that are considered too large, a breast reduction may be performed. In this procedure, excess breast tissue is removed for smaller, firmer breasts.
Schedule Your Consultation
The consultation with Dr. Krugman will include a thorough discussion of possible complications. You will also be able to look through past patient photos. Call 714‐972‐1811 to schedule a consultation. Our office is located in the Tustin/Santa Ana area at 720 N. Tustin Ave., Suite 202, Santa Ana, CA 92705.