Breast reduction can relieve discomfort and make it easier to enjoy daily activities. Clothes may fit better due to your body's improved proportions. Reduced breast size can relieve back and neck pain and prevent additional injury.
Who Can Benefit From Breast Reduction?
- If you feel that large breasts negatively impact your lifestyle, you may be a good candidate for breast reduction. For the right patient, breast reduction surgery can significantly improve health and well-being.
- Neck pain, back pain, skeletal deformities, and skin irritation are problems caused by large breasts. If you suffer from these problems, consider a breast reduction.
- Women with large breasts often feel that their bodies are disproportionate. A smaller breast size can address this concern, giving you a more youthful and proportional body shape.
Breast Reduction in Orange County: What to Expect
- Your initial consultation will involve a complete discussion of your surgical goals. Your breasts will be examined and marked as necessary for surgical accuracy.
- Before your surgery begins, you will be anesthetized for complete comfort during the procedure. Dr. Krugman may use general anesthetic or a combination of intravenous sedation and local anesthetic.
- Incisions are made in a number of areas depending on the situation. They may be made around the areola, along the breast crease, and in a line between the areola and the breast crease.
- Excess breast tissue is removed, and the remaining tissue adjusted in place. A new location for the nipple may be made in a higher position. The skin is pulled together underneath the nipple and any excess skin is removed. The incisions are closed using fine sutures.
What Happens After Breast Reduction?
- Each procedure is different, but typically a bandage is applied to the incisions. A tube is often inserted to allow for drainage of fluid buildup.
- The breasts may be secured in place with a support bra or compression garment. These devices help control swelling, boost healing and protect the new breast arrangement. They are worn throughout the recovery, typically for 3-6 weeks.
- The sutures may be removed in about a week. Normal activities may then be resumed. More strenuous activity should not be attempted until the breasts have healed for 3-6 weeks.
- Any discomfort over the first few days may be treated with medication. Swelling may occur, which should dissipate over the first month. Some bruising is possible, which should reduce in the first weeks.
Alternatives to Breast Reduction
- Breast lift surgery is very similar to breast reduction, and they may be performed in conjunction. In addition to reducing breast size, Dr. Krugman will make them firmer and more youthful-looking.
- The size and position of the areola may also be adjusted during this procedure. Areolas often stretch with excessively large breasts.
Schedule Your Consultation
You can ask any questions you may have during your consultation. Dr. Krugman will review all possible complications and discuss your potential outcomes. Call 714‐972‐1811 to schedule a consultation. Our plastic surgery office is located in the Tustin/Santa Ana area at 720 N. Tustin Ave., Suite 202, Santa Ana, CA 92705.