A strong, well-defined bone structure is one of the most powerful elements of facial beauty. Chin augmentation, also known as mentoplasty, is a cosmetic procedure designed to create a more defined chin profile and restore balance to your facial features.
Who Can Benefit From Chin Augmentation?
- Chin augmentation is ideal for men and women who are self-conscious about the size, shape or projection of their chin in relation to other facial features.
- This procedure can be used to effectively correct or add contour to the appearance of a recessed chin, or an indistinct neck, especially for those who possess a double chin.
- Many individuals also elect chin augmentation in conjunction with other facial enhancement procedures such as nose surgery. This is performed to create a more balanced relationship between facial structures.
- The best candidates for chin augmentation will possess good overall physical and psychological health as well as realistic cosmetic expectations.
Chin Augmentation In Orange County: What to Expect
- Chin augmentation begins with an initial surgical consultation. Factors such as your medical history, current health status and cosmetic expectations will be discussed. During this process, Dr. Krugman will be able to determine if chin augmentation is right for you.
- Surgery is typically performed on an outpatient basis. Either a local or general anesthesia will be administered prior to your procedure.
- Following the administration of anesthesia, an incision will be made inside the mouth (near the lower lip) or just beneath the chin. A pocket will be created for the insertion of a custom-sized implant along the lower jaw.
- Once the implant has been inserted, Dr. Krugman may make minor adjustments to the placement. Incisions will be secured with fine sutures and surgical tape.
What Happens After Chin Augmentation?
- Dr. Krugman will provide you with detailed hygiene and aftercare instructions following your procedure. Modifications to your normal diet and physical activity may be recommended for several weeks.
- It is common for patients to experience swelling, numbness or stiffness following chin augmentation, all of which can be resolved through the application of cold compresses.
- Significant swelling and bruising may also temporary inhibit your ability to talk, smile or eat as you normally do.
- Most patients are able to resume work within a week, but more strenuous physical activities may be restricted for several months. It may take up to six months before the final results of your procedure are visible.
Alternatives to Chin Augmentation
- Chin augmentation is the only procedure designed to permanently alter the appearance of the chin. Less invasive procedures may be recommended if you are hesitant about undergoing surgery.
- Less invasive procedures such as injectable treatments may serve as a temporary alternative to chin augmentation. These may include fat grafting, collagen injections or other facial fillers.
Schedule Your Consultation
Dr. Mark E. Krugman is a board-certified plastic surgeon serving the Tustin/Santa Ana area and Orange County. If you are interested in setting up a consultation for chin augmentation with Dr. Krugman, please call our office at 714-972-1811.