Eyelid surgery may be performed on either the upper or lower eyelid. The procedure removes the buildup of fat and excess skin that can cause drooping. Eyelid surgery may improve the field of vision as well as provide cosmetic benefit.
Who Can Benefit from Eyelid Surgery?
- Anyone whose field of vision is affected by their eyelids.
- Those with excess skin or fat buildup in their upper or lower eyelids.
- Men or women with bags or puffy areas under or above their eyes.
- Patients with fine wrinkles surrounding their eyelids.
Eyelid Surgery in Orange County: What to Expect
- During your initial consultation with Dr. Krugman, you will discuss your eye goals. The eyelids will be examined closely. Dr. Krugman may make some marks on your face to help guide him during the procedure.
- For eyelid surgery, a general anesthetic may be used or the combination of local anesthetic and intravenous sedation. Both of these options will give you complete comfort during the procedure.
- For upper eyelid procedures, the incision is generally made along the natural line of the upper eyelid. It may extend from the inner corner of the eye to the creases on the outside corner. Lower eyelid incisions are made just below the lower eyelashes. In cases not requiring skin removal, incisions may be made on the interior of the eyelid.
- Through these incisions, excess fatty tissue and skin may be removed. Muscles may also be adjusted or repositioned for a relaxed effect. External incisions are closed with fine sutures for minimal visibility.
What Happens After Eyelid Surgery?
- An ointment may be applied to the eyes and eyelids during and after the surgery. This may cause some blurriness to vision during the immediate recovery period. This condition should diminish in a few days.
- The head should be kept elevated initially, and ice packs may be applied to minimize swelling. Swelling typically begins to diminish within the first week. This swelling may slightly affect vision during the recovery period.
- Discomfort is typically minimal with eyelid surgery. Some bruising may occur, which often resolves in a few weeks.
- Stitches can be removed after about a week, with normal activities resumed around this time. More strenuous activity should be postponed for several weeks until your recovery has progressed.
- There may be some burning, itching or light sensitivity during the first few days. Prescription eye drops and dark sunglasses can help ease these problems.
Alternatives to Eyelid Surgery
- For some cases, a brow lift may provide a better treatment for the issues present. This procedure helps minimize eyelid wrinkles as well as forehead wrinkles and those between the eyebrows.
- A full face lift may also be an excellent alternative to eyelid surgery. In some cases, the full face lift is performed in conjunction with eyelid surgery for the best result.
- Some prescription strength anti-aging products may also be helpful for aging around the eyes. These products provide a powerful treatment of wrinkles and aging, and are only available through a medical practitioner.
Schedule Your Consultation
Dr. Krugman is happy to review your situation with you and discuss potential options. Your consultation will include a complete discussion of all possible complications. Call 714‐972‐1811 to schedule a consultation. Our office is located in the Tustin/Santa Ana area at 720 N. Tustin Ave., Suite 202, Santa Ana, CA 92705.