Laser hair removal is one of the most effective and long-lasting methods of hair removal. To eliminate hair, the laser penetrates through your skin, and is absorbed by the hair follicles, resulting in a discontinuation of hair growth. Large areas anywhere on the body may be treated with laser hair removal.
Who Can Benefit From Laser Hair Removal?
- Anyone who wishes to minimize or completely eliminate the appearance of excess body hair may benefit from laser hair removal.
- Laser hair removal responds best to people with light skin and darker hair because the laser selectively targets melanin (dark pigment) found in the hair.
- Laser hair removal is less effective for individuals with gray or blond hair.
- As a general rule, the best candidates for laser hair removal will possess good overall physical and mental health as well as realistic cosmetic expectations.
Laser Hair Removal In Orange County: What to Expect
- The length of your procedure will depend on the size of the treatment area(s). Some treatments take as little as 10 minutes, while others last as long as an hour.
- The treatment area will be cleansed and trimmed prior to your procedure. A topical anesthetic gel will then be applied to minimize discomfort.
- Using a hand held wand, Dr. Krugman will apply alternating pulses of light and bursts of cold air to reduce discomfort and scabbing.
- You may feel a slight stinging sensation during treatment. This is rarely painful and is often compared to be being snapped lightly with a rubber band.
What Happens After Laser Hair Removal?
- Immediately following your procedure, you may experience some redness, sensitivity and swelling in the treatment area. This typically lasts a few hours.
- You may also experience stinging for a few days, as the treatment area begins to scab over. It is important to protect your skin from prolonged sun exposure during this portion of recovery.
- Laser hair removal typically requires multiple treatment sessions to reach optimal results. At any given time, some hair follicles may be dormant. Repeated treatments will be needed to target these dormant follicles when they re-enter the growth cycle.
- The final results of laser hair removal will gradually become apparent over the course of 1-4 weeks as the treated hair is expelled from your skin.
Alternatives to Laser Hair Removal
- It is important to understand that there are several alternatives to laser hair removal treatment. Dr. Krugman will discuss these options with you during your consultation.
- Electrolysis is often an effective hair removal technique. During this procedure a sterile needle is inserted into every hair follicle. A low-level electrical current is then applied to destroy the hair follicle.
- More traditional methods such as shaving, waxing or plucking may also be used to removed unwanted hair on a more temporary basis.
Schedule Your Consultation
Dr. Mark E. Krugman is a board-certified plastic surgeon serving the Tustin/Santa Ana area and Orange County. If you are interested in setting up a consultation for laser hair removal with Dr. Krugman, please call our office at 714-972-1811.